Hi Dave, all,

Am 27.05.20 um 16:26 schrieb Dave Fisher:

>> On May 27, 2020, at 7:18 AM, Keith N. McKenna <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Pedro;
>> Comments in-line

>>> PDF is not an editable format and it is not from any of the "major
>>> competitor" suites. In any case you can open PDF files in OpenOffice. Just
>>> install the PDF Import extension.
>>>
>> Yes PDF is an editable format, you just need to have a PDF editor. The
>> fact is that user@ is full of people complaining that AOO will not open
>> there PDF files.
> Yes, PDF can be edited.

>>> I'm almost sure WordPerfect is no longer a "major competitor"...
>>> Unfortunately I can't find any usage statistics for any office suite to
>>> check who are in fact the "major" and if they use any proprietary file
>>> types other than Microsoft's...
>>>
>> Whether they are a "major competitor" or not is irrelevant, there 2020
>> office suite is a competitor and we do not open any of there file
>> formats for word processing, spreadsheet, or presentation.
> These “Why OpenOffice” sections were written in Sun and Oracle times and
> simply ported. Competitors is not the correct term for other myriad document
> formats. We don’t have a large company funding our efforts to “compete”.
>
> A more major effort to rewrite this part of the website makes sense to me. I
> don’t how much time I have for that effort, but …

Yes, this part of the webpage should really be rewritten.
But looking at how long it took us to discuss only a fraction of a
sentence that will take take a loooong time.

That said, I step back from doing anything in this specific matter.
If someone wants to change that little part of a sentence, please go ahead!

Regards,

   Matthias