On 7/7/2020 8:18 AM, Peter wrote:
Dear Pedro,

Am 07.07.20 um 12:14 schrieb Pedro Lino:
As a member of this project I kindly request that people do not make presentations in German.

English is the lingua franca and everybody in this project regardless of nationality makes an effort to communicate in that language. As an example Mechtilde's English is very good or at least good enough to communicate and pass instructions to someone else as myself who is not a native English speaker.

Thanks to services like https://www.deepl.com/translator there is a huge differense between writing and talking.

We mostly write and do not talk. This are two seperate skills. I am conviced as you are that english is piece of cake for Mechtilde and Michael. But if they say otherwise, I respect that.

We should expect little of everyone, but drive them to get the maximum out. So the lowest jump hight is german with subtitles. And that why I cannot reconsider.

Having presentations in a language other than English will only drive people away from this project.

I disagree. Only if we do not work to close the gap it will work disruptive. So I thopught of subtitles.

If we can make an english audio track we will do so. Whatever we will come up with we will try.

We should fetch people where they are not force them to a standard. We want to value competence, but having no competence should not be negative. Improve your own competence is a competent action. We can only value this if we lower barriers as much as possible and start there where people are. And open up ways to bring them to growth.

If the idea is to exchange ideas and attract people to this project I'm asking you please to reconsider.

Please help me to convince Mechtilde and Michael that they can do it. I am not the one who needs the reasurance. I hope you understand the difference. I believe in them as much as you do. But my job now is to enable the track and them with whatever they offer.

And this is not only true for this case. This is true for all cases. And if it is not clear it is for me no special offer, but the standard I follow.

Regardless of the English skills of the speakers, consider the audience. I can read French. I can write French with the help of a dictionary and spell checker, though it may not be much better than if I wrote in English and used Google Translate. I cannot follow spoken French.

Similarly, I hope the audience for these talks will include people who have the skills needed to participate in an e-mail discussion in English, but who cannot follow a talk in English. We should make those people feel welcome to the project.

The talks sound interesting, so I hope an English translation will become available.

https://www.avg.com