Hi -

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 21, 2020, at 5:45 PM, Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> Am 21.10.20 um 22:51 schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>>> On 20/10/2020 Matthias Seidel wrote:
>>> It seems that I am the only one interested in the data Google Analytics
>>> provides.
>>
>> I'm interested in keeping Google Analytics too.
> If you provide a google address to me or Matthias we can add you to the
> analytics.
>>
>> We have years of historic data there and they are useful right now, since
>> we'll want to ensure that the top 30 pages are still perfectly working if we
>> change the web infrastructure. Also, Google Analytics data will help if we
>> ever decide to restructure the site (dropping the majority of pages and
>> keeping only pages that receive traffic). And if we interrupt data
>> collection now there is no way back.
> We have dropped the time the data is kept to a minimum. I do not see one
> reason we need a long standing history. And the minimum is at 1 year I think.
> For me that is sufficient.

There are a plethora of historical information. I’m planning to preserve as
much as we can/want.

>> AWStats is not a feature-complete replacement by any means and it also
>> places additional requirements on the server. I understand that it is better
>> from a philosophical/ideological perspective (open source, self hosted). We
>> can try and add it - we can have both AWStats and Google Analytics working
>> at the same time and then judge which one is better after some months.
> +1, my expectation is that we can live with the loss.

I will be doing the initial migration as quickly as I can. I think that metrics
needs a specific discussion.

Initially I’ll comment this out.

>> Google Analytics is an industry standard; if we configure it in a way that
>> honors do-not-track requirements and does not store irrelevant data about
>> users I believe it is acceptable. We've already applied a reasonable
>> trade-off in the past to ensure Google Analytics does not become too
>> invasive.
> I am careful because on the members or board list it cause a lot of uproar.
> And I do not have much interest in getting some general shit storm, because
> people have no clue what they talking about.

Privacy concerns in certain jurisdictions is the foundation issue.

We can certainly harvest web logs with Infrastructure help.

Regards,
Dave