Am 10.02.22 um 20:12 schrieb Arrigo Marchiori:
Hello Carl,

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 11:32:57AM -0500, Carl Marcum wrote:

Hi Arrigo,

On 2/10/22 11:00 AM, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
Hello Matthias,

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 03:42:16PM +0100, Matthias Seidel wrote:

Hi Arrigo,

Am 10.02.22 um 15:21 schrieb Arrigo Marchiori:
Dear Jim, Matthias, All,

On Wed, Feb 09, 2022 at 12:12:09PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:

That's right... I'll wait to even try compiling until things settle
down and we have some slowly moving target I can compile and build
against.

On Feb 8, 2022, at 6:06 AM, Matthias Seidel <matthias.sei...@hamburg.de> wrote:

Hi Arrigo,

No need to apologize. ;-)

But I think, before we begin to think about upgrading serf we need to
make sure that AOO41X is able to build successfully on all platforms.

Windows and Linux are OK, I think. macOS is still pending?
AOO41X now builds under Catalina, with a single edit to the official
build script: AOO_JAVA_VERSION=1.8
So you build with Java 8?
The official build script contains the setting:
AOO_JAVA_VERSION=1.7

On our Mac mini, the script fails because Java 1.7 is not installed,
and it does not seem to be available on-line for download.

What is the architecture of the Mac Mini?

% uname -a
Darwin administrators-Mac-mini.local 19.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 19.6.0: Sun
Nov 14 19:58:51 PST 2021; root:xnu-6153.141.50~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Asul has x86-64 JDK's available for Java 7 but that's all.

https://www.azul.com/downloads/?version=java-7-lts&os=macos&package=jdk

I will try that!

Please allow me to state I had no intention to ``subvert'' current
versions of Java or whatever. For what I understand, Catalina and the
XCode versions installed in our Mac mini do not match the reference
macOS version and tools for our AOO41X builds, and this is absolutely
fine for me, as long as there is someone else who has a system with
the ``official'' architecture and is able to use it.

I am just trying to have a (whatever version of) macOS building AOO,
so that when I commit something, I can test on that architecture as
well. And possibly lower the barriers to entry for others.

So if any of my edits break the builds on ``official machines'',
please let us just revert them.

The Java version change was not even committed anywhere. ;-)

Thank you for reading through my disclaimer. ;-)

Don't worry. I don't see a problem for now. Great that you experiment with a different setup to see how it works then.

For the AOO41X release branch we really should try as best and long as possible to keep the setup the same like the past releases to give a (kind of) guarantee that a new release would run also in the same PC environment.

So, the next step is to see if the build is also successful with Java 7. But as I see this already in progress <finger crossing>. :-)

All fine

Marcus