Hello Pedro,

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 10:32:03AM +0100, Pedro Lino wrote:

> Hi all
>
> This is very a basic question for a programmer but as "developer" I could not
> find any clear documentation: how do I compile an x86 build in Linux?
>
> I have managed to build an x64 Linux installer following the steps in
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO
> but
>
> 1) When compiling on a physical PC (aka metal) do I need an x86 CPU to build
> an x86 build?
>
> if the answer to 1) is no then
>
> 2) Do I need and x86 Linux OS?

For what it's worth, I am using a virtual machine, in which I
installed 32 bit Linux, for testing 32 bit builds. Our release builds
are done in VM's as well.

> if not then, how do I get shell script to setup an x86 environment? I can't
> understand the instructions to create the LinuxX86Env.Set.sh script needed
> for the unxlngi6 platform...

If you have an x86_64 Linux system (either bare metal or virtual,
should make no difference) you should be able to build for 32 bit by
forcing parameter "-m32" to the compiler.

It should be enough to instruct the configure script to use proper
CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS:

$ CFLAGS="-m32" CXXFLAGS="-m32" ./configure [other parameters]

I cannot confirm this will work, because the build system is very
complex, but that is how I would do for other software projects.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
--
Arrigo