> The most correct would be to use a configuration value with
> no default,
> which means you get a NIL value (a VOID Any in UNO) when
> reading. Then
> you could have
>    VOID -> look at environment
>    Non NIL -> Use the value

IMHO, that is overkill.  It is true that would allow an empty RestrictedPath
to be set in the .xcu file that could not be overridden by a user
environmental variable, but what is the benefit?  If the user overrides an
empty RestrictedPath, I don't see the harm.

It would be less complex and therefore less prone to system administrator
and programmer error to just treat a nil and empty string the same.  I
suggest:

  if .xcu value not empty: use it
  else: look to environment