> Even OOo won't restore the file associations to the older program...
> the easier way to fix it is to repair the OOo setup or reinstall.

Yes, I tried that.  OOo very politely respected the Symphony file
associations and did no repair.  The only way I got it to work was to delete
all traces of Symphony from the file associations.  If the file association
was Symphony-only or Symphony and OpenOffice, then I simply deleted it and
fixed it later with a reinstall of OOo.  For all other associations, I only
deleted the Symphony entry.  Hint for anyone suffering from the same
problem: I eventually figured they could be easily located by searching for
the partial string "standalone_" (without quotes).  Better solution: don't
install Symphony until IBM gets its act together.  Its particularly
unforgivable IMO for beta software not to uninstall without a trace because
that's what its for: to install, try out, and then delete.