Hi Michele,

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 06:21:09PM +0100, Michele wrote:

> I would like to install OOo2.4 with the DEV300m5 in parallel on my ubuntu
> box, but I don't know how. They are both called openoffice, so when i try to
> install dpkg *substitutes* one version with the other.
>
> I have found this command for RPMs in an old setup guide:
>
> rpm -ivh --install --dbpath /home/user1/office/.rpm --nodeps --prefix
> /home/user1/office/ openoffice*.rpm
>
> where /home/user1/office/.rpm is the directory where the second installation
> should be.

No - that's where an alernative rpm's database is placed. The
installation files of OOo itself would be placed to /home/user1/office/

But I wouldn't recommend this installation method to anybody (unless you
want to check the dependencies and stuff, the installation itself, but
the the nodeps is pointless (yes, otherwise you would have to install a
dummy package that "provides" a shell, but there is a dummy rpm that
does this).

So unless you want to check the update procedure of the packages (then
the -i would be pointless, instead you should use -U, btw one of -i or
--install is enough): Don't use the above method.

> Is there an equivalent command for dpkg? is there an alternative method
> altogether?

Just extract the rpms:
for i in *.rpm; do rpm2cpio $i | cpio -idmv ; done
(or use your favourite file-manager/archive manager)

ciao
Christian