Éric Bischoff wrote:
> Recoding for qt, gtk, win32, and Cocoa is a serious duplication of efforts.
>
> If the purpose for having an abstract layer and porting on so many APIs is
> PORTABILITY to many operating systems, then this duplication of efforts
> becomes
> useless, because Qt is already very portable.
>
> If the reason for this effort is strategic INDEPENDANCY towards one library
> provider, then yes it makes a lot of sense to have abstraction layers in the
> middle.

Hi Eric,

definitely the latter, not in the sense of mistrust against the
provider, but knowing the fundamental law that only one thing is
constant - that things are changing. Quite as Qt appears like a good
choice today, vcl's design appeared as a good choice back when the
decision was made.

And btw, qt and vcl are actually quite similar in their core design,
and thus share the same weaknesses, conceptually - they don't use
native widgets, but only native look (which is noticeable even
today, if you look closely, and is surely not becoming less of a
problem, c.f. Apple's deprecation plans...). In this light, I guess
wxWidgets would even be the better choice iff we'd want to port
against one specific implementation.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten