Éric Bischoff wrote:
> Nokia recently relicensed the Qt library under a triple license : GPL, LGPL,
> and commercial.
>
> Qt is cute, modern, C++, easy to program with, and multiplatform. Wouldn't it
> be the ideal replacement for VCL, now that LGPL is an option?

Hi Eric,

why are you following up to my (unrelated) lib unloading mail?!

Anyway, besides concerns others have voiced regarding text layout &
accessibility, changing the underlying toolkit of OOo in the way it
is proposed here is the most far-reaching change to the code base I
can conceive of, short of changing the implementation language from
c++ to managed c++ or somesuch.

So that's nothing we should do on a whim - quite the contrary, we
should never ever again bind ourselves against the implementation of
one specific toolkit, but rather code against an abstract interface.

Along that lines, see the work that's happening around dialog
auto-layouting and the awt toolkit
(http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2008/programme/friday_1470.pdf)

Of course, having qt then provide _one_ implementation of that
toolkit interface is quite the plan (as having a gtk, Win32 & Cocoa
one). And the license change definitely helps there.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten