Hello Chris,

Le mercredi 16 juin 2010 à 13:02 -0700, Chris Carpenter a écrit :
> I would like to volunteer my services to help improve the RTF support for
> openoffice.org writer. However, I am a fairly new programmer and would
> require some guidance getting into the code base, and also some guidance on
> how to work with a large project such as this one.

Then you should join me and vmiklos on a Gsoc task. Miklos is currently
implementing a new export filter for RTF and I'm mentoring him. You
could get some help there. We're often hanging on the #go-oo IRC channel
on irc.freenode.net.

> The first question is probably: Why would I want to improve RTF support?
> Well, my college uses exclusively Microsoft Word for essentianally
> everything, and doesn't support anything else well. The only concession they
> will make is to allow submissions in, and send documents in, RTF format.
> Since RTF support isn't the best right now, i'd like to see if I can manage
> to improve it, even if only a little bit. I had a discussion about why I'd
> want to do this here:
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31596.
>
> If anyone has the time to point me in the right direction, it would be
> appreciated.

You could start implementing an RTF tokenizer for the new writerfilter
import filter. This would help us create a brand new RTF import filter
sharing a lot of code with .docx import and a future .doc import filter
(those 3 formats are really similar). I could help you getting started
on that as well.

You can contact me privately or on IRC (my nick is cbosdonnat) to help
you actually start coding.

Cédric Bosdonnat
Go-oo hacker
http://go-oo.org