On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:10:40PM +0100, David Earl wrote:
> This is the first discussion I can remember on these lists about this
> issue. There's no flashing lights on the website that says the info from
> Garmin receivers is lacking. You've only mentioned vaguely "algorithms
> exist" to make use of accuracy info, but that's a fat lot of good if
> they aren't built in to our editors. Database objects don't have
> references back to the tracks (or other sources) from which they were
> derived, so you can't tell whether one's additional trace is better than
> the one from which what's already there is derived.

FWIW, merkaartor already shows the speed at a certian point of a track
by varying the thickness of the track. This way the user can
discard tracks which have an inconsistent speed reading (which nearly
always means the position is jerky due to different satellites coming
in/going out of view). It would be trivial to use precision information.
The color of the track represents the slope. I am sure Chris who is
nowadays responsible for most of these nifty additions to merkaartor can
tell you more.

cu bart