> FWIW, merkaartor already shows the speed at a certian point of a track
> by varying the thickness of the track. This way the user can
> discard tracks which have an inconsistent speed reading (which nearly
> always means the position is jerky due to different satellites coming
> in/going out of view). It would be trivial to use precision information.
> The color of the track represents the slope. I am sure Chris who is
> nowadays responsible for most of these nifty additions to merkaartor can
> tell you more.

And if the velocity value would not be the one derived from the trackpoints,
but the one taken from the Doppler shift in the GPS receiver, the track could
be enhanced with it. Thus recording all these values would help. However if the
bottom line is "position, elevation and time" nothing can help.

Oliver