On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 12:02:22PM +0100, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> You are now basically working around the actual problem. Allowing partial
> ways in the editors for the current bbox. I think hacking and breaking
> ways is bad, duplicate information, missing tags upon edit etc. I think
> storing ways with their tags per 'new segment' is bad too; hence the
> reason I proposed to use an ordered relation to represent ways.

I think I agree with this.  Contributors or users of the data shouldn’t
have to care at all about how big their ways (or other objects) can be.
One of the main aims for OSM is that it is easy to contribute data,
right?  Stop making it more complex by introducing arbitrary limits
because of technical issues, especially ones that go away when you move
to better hardware or software.  Start making things scalable.  This
probably means having partial ways as suggested.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall