Simon Ward wrote:

> I think I agree with this.  Contributors or users of the data
> shouldn’t
> have to care at all about how big their ways (or other objects) can
> be.
> One of the main aims for OSM is that it is easy to contribute data,
> right?  Stop making it more complex by introducing arbitrary limits
> because of technical issues, especially ones that go away when you
> move
> to better hardware or software.  Start making things scalable.  This
> probably means having partial ways as suggested.

Unfortunately our number of developers has never scaled particularly
well. So if you want it done, you need to do it, potentially
including the work on the principal clients (I guess JOSM, Potlatch,
Merkaartor, Osmosis?). Otherwise pragmatism rules and we will
continue to balance the ideal solution against the achievable one
given the priorities of our limited number of developers.

In other words, the imperative is not the correct mood to use. ;)

cheers
Richard