D Tucny wrote:
>Eddy Petrișor <eddy.petri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What's even more weirder is the fact that if I try to edit with
>> Potlatch, the way is displayed correctly, as if stale data was read of
>> as if Mapnik's data was read.
>> [...]
>
> There was a post 12 hours ago to the talk list about the exact same
> thing...
>
> Richard the author of potlatch explained the issue in his reply to that
> post 11 hours ago as being a partial written save due to server load
> or network problems or some other weird issue, the result being that
> ways can contain nodes that are deleted...

Exactly (and thanks for posting before I got a chance to :) ).

When Potlatch writes a way it first of all updates the nodes:

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/sites/rails_port/app/controllers/amf_controller.rb?rev=11420#L356

then it deletes any nodes that were used by the old version, but not the new
one:

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/sites/rails_port/app/controllers/amf_controller.rb?rev=11420#L400

and finally, it writes the new version of the way:

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/sites/rails_port/app/controllers/amf_controller.rb?rev=11420#L411

What appears to be happening in these cases is that the server is timing out
while deleting the surplus ("unique") nodes. Therefore there is a
discrepancy between the state of the nodes, and of the way.

I have just committed a change to swap the last two stages around. Therefore
if the server breaks when deleting the unused nodes, the way will already
have been written. This of course is not really fixing the problem, it's
moving it elsewhere, but hey.

On a side issue it is offensive and demoralising when people jump to
conclusions in this way, especially when they clearly haven't bothered to
search the mailing list archives first: this has been discussed several
times in the past, and as D said, most recently 12 hours ago! It is not a
"really BAD bug" in Potlatch, it is poor server performance allied to the
lack of transactions. It has been explained many times in the past, not just
by me, that database freakiness _will_ happen because we don't have
transactions, our server is often under high load, and there may be memory
leaks or blocking processes in some of the software we use. I don't mind you
getting annoyed because data isn't how you expect but I do object to you
blaming one particular component when it actually ain't that simple.

cheers
Richard