Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> writes:

>     I did a full (osm2pgsql) planet import on a standard Ubuntu Jaunty
> system and it took 1794 minutes. Then I upgraded to Postgres 8.4
> (backported from Karmic) plus PostGIS 1.4 (home-built package), and
> re-tried the import: 2028 minutes (that's 13% performance loss).
>
> Can anybody confirm this measurement, or even suggest what the reason
> might be?

Another pointer: How many VACUUMs does osm2pgsql trigger during import
and filling the own tables?

I also registered some slowing down with my own application when it
comes to VACUUM. And I also read some mailings about this issue on the
PG-MLs. AFAIR osm2pgsql does not timestamp its steps so it is probably a
little difficult to hunt the real timeconsumer down.

HTH, Martin