Hi Tom,

>> However, we want to pass our track data to the OSM project and are
>> looking for a neat way to do that. We can convert our data to any
>> format (some kind of CSV or XML preferred). We just need a TCP
>> interface to post them to or a destination email address where to send
>> the files to. Simply uploading the tracks to some server is no good
>> solution. When a user creates a track in our database it gets a
>> primary
>> key but of course can't be assigned an official OSM ID yet. So the
>> upload process would need to be as follows:
>
> Can you clarify whether you're talking about uploading this as GPS
> trace data (what we would normally recommend for raw GPS data) or as
> actual OSM map data?

OSM!! The data is already rich enough to contain street names, way kind
and some other attributes for forrest tracks (e.g. never use when it's
raining).

>> Iterate through al newly created tracks
>>    - send a track with nodes to the OSM server and receive IDs for the
>> way and the nodes
>>    - assign these IDs to our private database objects and thus marking
>> them sent and no longer new
>>
>> For that we need some kind of TCP-based XML interface so that we could
>> send a track in some XML format to a TCP socket and get back the IDs
>> assigned to objects by the public OSM database server. Only that would
>> allow us the assign the returned IDs to our private database objects
>> and thus avoid data duplication. Is there such an API (TCP-socket
>> based)?
>
> There are APIs for both, but not necessarily exactly what you want (in
> particular for GPS trace data).

The ideal solution for use would be to send a WAY segment in OSM format
to some service and receive a response with the IDs for the created way
and the created nodes! But I understand this is not supported due to
the obvious merging problem (avoid duplicates)!?

Still what is the best option for us?

Regards,

  Andreas