On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Maarten Deen <md...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:19:43 +0100, Andreas Höschler
> <ahoe...@smartsoft.de> wrote:
> > Hi John,

> >> It's not that simple, because you may need to deal with merging,
> >> alternatively you could produce .osm files similar to what JOSM
> >> produces and then people can load those files into JOSM and merge or
> >> add data to OSM.
> >
> > Creating OSM files would be easy for us. But where would we sent them?
> > Simply put them on our webserver and make an announcement on the osm
> > list "hey, we have some osm data to be merged/imported! Have fun!"!?
>
> That's the basic thought. Have a look at the projectpages for the various
> Kosovo imports on <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Kosovo>.
> If this gets coordinated with a group of local mappers (in case there
> already is data present) then I don't see a big problem.
>
> > The other problem is how do we get to know that one of our ways got
> > imported into the public OSM database and thus assigned an ID so that
> > we can get rid of that way in our private database?
>
> Only by investigating the new data and comparing it to your own data. As
> you can see on some of the Kosovo pages, there is a link to a changeset.
> This is a collection of all the items that got added/changed. This could be
> used to check against your local data.

Yes, we have had good results with the spoonful imports done by people.
I would say that if you have all this data to share, share it.

upload the data to archive.org, put it unter creative commons sharealike
commercial, and let us look at it. We can help you prepare it for importing
into osm.

If you have internal ids, we can also import them if needed, better would be
to download the data back out of osm, pull that into a database, the postgis
database is easy to use.

you should be able to do that matching of the osm data in postgis against
your data pretty easily.

so, lets see some data samples and then we can talk about details.

mike