Hi, thanks for giving me something to google. :) I have a few more
questions now that I've had more time to sit with this problem, also
after having read your message.

1. My problem isn't routing, but rather providing accurate street-level
information. Does that change the situation any? I'm wondering how much
information on routing would apply here.

2. As a blind pedestrian, I'm not likely to travel faster or slower on
streets of different types. Vehicular navigation of course is another
story, but in this instance, vehicular nav is secondary. Also, whether
or not a street is one-way is immaterial. Same with dead-ends. Do I have
anything to gain from examining way tags, or am I dismissing that avenue
too soon? It seems to me like my approach would need to be purely
mathematical in this case.

3. In dusting off my disused (and never that good to begin with :) math
skills from over a decade in my past, I'm thinking that a vector-based
solution might work. I am already calculating a node's neighbors if it
is on one or more ways, so I think that if I create vectors between the
nearest node and each of its neighbors, then determine which segment has
the least distance to the user's current location, then I've figured out
the user's new way with minimal complexity. Before I go off and
implement this (or rather, before I figure out which vector operations
apply here and *then* implement this :) can anyone tell me why this may
be a bad idea?

Thanks again.