The problem I have is that some tiles are properly rendered, but other are not,
like in this example: http://yvecai.olympe-network.com/divers/Capture.png
That is because each request is likely generating a child thread that is trying
to share the same mapnik map, which is not good behavior, unless your python
code is deployed as multiprocess (rather than multithreaded). If you are
interested in multiprocess deployment see mod_wsgi, run in daemon mode, with
threads=1 and processes=N CPU
Thank you for your support Diane, I suspected something like that, but I'm far from expert in this field. Actually, I just wanted a local real-time rendering method to test rendering and I choose Sylvain's method because it was the most documented. I found the readme.txt from mod_tile is a little scary (any chance that I can make it work??).

At the end, the setup is working fine from yesterday evening. I tried to set up mod_tile with no luck, then I switch back to mod_python and I had just run generate_xml.py again to change some rendering rules. That is not thread or processes related! When I switch back to mod_python method, I probably tidied up the apache config files or something like that.

Yves