On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Matt Amos <zerebub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> are you saying that kernel.org can be unfriendly because the amount of
> effort put in by each contributor is higher?

Yes.

Actually kernel.org is very friendly to there audience (Geeks). I'm
thinking of someone like Richard Stallman who does not even surf the
web. lwn.net/Articles/262570/

> people can be using the data
> (for example, on bing, mapquest or cloudmade) without ever needing to
> see the osm.org site.
> those who are interested enough to want to
> contribute can do it directly through the provider,

I'm willing to consider that model.

>From Wikipedia's experience we know that people are hesitant to
contribute to anything with a corporate affiliation to it. ("Why
should I do anything more than report a bug ? They have so much money
that their people can fix the data" )

The other choice would be a second non-profit site. Kind of like
Debian is to kernel.org. The site would try to capture it's own
donations. So it would limit the number of links to osm.org e.g. by
embedding Potlatch. And it would not want to spend money on
development, so it would copy large parts of osm.org. So it will be
just a few steps away from becoming an outright fork... (Banish the
thought).

>Kai just showed me your demo running on dev, which is great - sorry I missed
>that. The data looks pretty up-to-date,
> is it being updated weekly or more often? Is it world-wide?

Daily worldwide updates since July 19. The 3 major things that
surfaced / resurfaced were :
1. Gosmore did not handle access=yes correctly, but it's patched now.
2. Motorcars on tracks.
3. Connecting high speed bidirectional roads to the network.

If anyone don't know what 2 & 3 are about, please ask me, or ask the
routing list.

> * it has to be a rails port and not a static page. ...

Thanks for the guidelines.

Serge wrote
> Imagine if every Merkaartor user who did a search received  "This
> service is depricated. Please use Nomimatim."

Good advice.