On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Nic Roets wrote:
>>
>> From Wikipedia's experience we know that people are hesitant to
>> contribute to anything with a corporate affiliation to it. ("Why
>> should I do anything more than report a bug ? They have so much money
>> that their people can fix the data" )
>
> I would love that to be true but the popularity of Google Map Maker seems to
> prove otherwise. On the whole, I don't think people even care.

I think many people are not yet seeing Google as a large, greedy
corporate. Party because the only people who are paying Google any
money are the people who advertise with them.

And if you take the number of MM users as a percentage of the number
of Google Maps users, I think it will be tiny. Only people who are
genuinely annoyed with problems in Google Maps are contributing.

But after doing a few searches like [1], I think we are still ahead of
them. And as we gain market share in the online maps arena, we will
steal MM contributors. I myself was contributing to Google Earth and
Track4Africa* before I started contributing to OSM.

[1] http://www.google.com/search?q="google+map+maker"+OR+openstreetmap
* They are currently one of the Google Maps sources for African countries.