Thanks Yves for the pointer!

Also the cloudmade support brought another project to my attention:
http://humangeo.github.io/leaflet-dvf/

See below where it reads: /Legends - Useful for visually informing users
about the dynamic styles associated with your L.DataLayer instances/
and
/L.Control.Legend - Add this control to your map to automatically
display a dynamic legend for any L.DataLayer based instance that you add
to your map/

Regards,
Peter.