Hi Pierre,

On 9/19/16, Pierre Béland <pierz...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
> Note that these general subjects are discussed on talk while dev discussion
> group is more for subjects related to software development, servers
> technical aspects, etc

My apologies for the noise. I was viewing my question about
the member having a role="" from a technical perspective. i.e.,
"what does software do with that?"

I have just subscribed to talk@ and will move such discussions
there moving forward.

> This wiki page describes Multipolygon relations used
> to describe complex
> objects.https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:multipolygon
>
> The role outer role is for ways that trace the outer ring of the object
> represented. The inner role is for objects that make the inner ring.
> This LearnOSM tutorial shows and edit in JOSM where you trace a building
> with inner rings in the middle for
> courtyards.http://learnosm.org/en/josm/josm-relations/

Yes. I completely understand those details. Code I'm writing is
stumbling on "anomalies" in the sample data dumps and I'm
trying to figure out what's the best way to deal with these.

Some I think need correction e.g., relation id="5366432" with
only two members which are marked role="inner". This is an
obvious mistake the correct relation id="189383" has the same
two "inner"s and the proper/expected "outer".

Anyway thanks for your and everyone else's time and advice.

--patrick