I'm not familiar with the exact workflow in QGIS, but I think you could
probably fully automate this process with it.

On the data side, just download a county PBF file (for example from
geofabrik), and convert it to a database. I always use spatialite for
things like this, here's a manual:
https://github.com/osmbe/qgis_rendering/blob/master/qgis-loves-spatialite.md
Or you could use the shapefiles provided there.

Then you need a set of rendering rules. There seem to be some basic styles
around that you could reuse:
https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/90086/is-there-a-good-qml-or-sld-file-available-for-qgis-openstreetmap-data
Updating your maps would just be a matter of replacing the source files.

Third, you should be able to rotate through the set of places with the
Atlas function.
Last, export to PDF; I have no idea if QGIS can produce the kind of PDFs
you need.

Joost Schouppe
OpenStreetMap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/> |
Twitter <https://twitter.com/joostjakob> | LinkedIn