> Third, you should be able to rotate through the set of places with the
> Atlas function.
> Last, export to PDF; I have no idea if QGIS can produce the kind of PDFs
> you need.

I've also recently made some maps for print with QGIS. As Joost says, you
will usually get a pbf osm file, import it into a database (I'm using the
standard osm2pgsql with latlong for this with hstore, although my QGIS
versions requires to create views for selecting hstore fields, which makes
it a bit more tedious, in the end I got it working). I'm using latlong
because I'm reprojecting on the fly to different systems in different
areas.

QGIS lets you export / print to raster (png), pdf (AFAIK both, raster and
vector, there's an option "print as raster") and svg (not working well,
e.g. I had problems with uncropped lines at the border). Depending on your
settings (resolution, scale and feature density on the map), it is not a
given that a vector representation will produce smaller files in any case
(when zoomed in you will usually get smaller files, if there is a lot of
detail in a large scale map, you will not see it in the print, but it will
inflate your file).

Cheers,
Martin