Hi Joost, hi Martin,

thanks for the comments - I'll have a look. I may just print the maps by
hand from the OSM site for now, and look into more advanced options in the
future.

QGIS lets you export / print to raster (png), pdf (AFAIK both, raster and
> vector, there's an option "print as raster") and svg (not working well,
> e.g. I had problems with uncropped lines at the border). Depending on your
> settings (resolution, scale and feature density on the map), it is not a
> given that a vector representation will produce smaller files in any case
> (when zoomed in you will usually get smaller files, if there is a lot of
> detail in a large scale map, you will not see it in the print, but it will
> inflate your file).

Yes of course - that's very true! In my case, I'm producing maps a few 100m
across (the size of a college).

Many thanks again!
Bjoern