On 2019-10-28 15:29, Greg Troxel wrote:
I help maintain geo things in pkgsrc, a multi-OS multi-cpu portable
packaging system.  We are struggling with programs still using qt4, and
we currently have an old (0.17) version of merkaator.

You can build Merkaartor with Qt5 (since 0.18.2 at least), we did that in Debian.

Looking at the http://www.merkaartor.be/, I see a release in 2016, and
the last mailinglist message was in November of 2017.

So I am contemplating whether merkaator should be updated in pkgsrc, or
dropped.  Questions:

The merkaartor package was removed from Debian recently, we share many of the same concerns.

See: https://bugs.debian.org/933492

  Is 0.18.3 really the most recent release?

That seems to be the case, it's also the most recent tag:

 https://github.com/openstreetmap/merkaartor/releases

  Is there any reason to think a new release will be forthcoming?

The removal of the merkaartor package from Debian got Ladislavs attention, and he wanted to make a new release in the hope to get the package back into Debian.

See: https://github.com/openstreetmap/merkaartor/issues/146#issuecomment-517509242

A new release now is not sufficient to get the package back into Debian, releases need to be more frequent and that likely requires more active contributors and co-maintainers.

  Is Merkaator a reasonable choice for OSM editing, it terms of working
  with current APIs and preset notions?

JOSM is the only decent editor in my not so humble opinion, with that package you meet the needs of most users.

Kind Regards,

Bas