In that case you would ideally find a way for the caching proxy server to
reach the original tiles over plain http (make sure to strip any user's
personal data from the requests!) and save some CPU cycles on both ends,
improving the latency slightly.

You might also want to consider serving larger tiles. 256x256 is really
small for today's standards and most major map frameworks (well, at least
leaflet, openlayers and mapbox) already support loading 512x512 tiles,
reducing the number of requests, improving the load times and server disk
usage. Yes, those tiles will take some more time to render, but most likely
less than four times more ;-)

Some rendering/caching systems internally already use even larger tiles to
combat these problems
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Meta_tiles

Br,
Štefan