Hello Moritz,

this is a nice idea indeed. Technically this could be easily implemented
in the UnitTestHelper as a new parameter (like
RestoreSystemConfiguration) which also cleans up the cache after the test.

It has some limitations (MyISAM, Selenium etc.), but could help with
some things as well. Transactions are a topic that we should adress also
in the regular code of OTRS at some point, but this might be a bigger
effort. For now we could just use $DBObject->{dbh}->*() in the Helper
object.

If you want you can create a test implementation as a PR that actually
tests the functionality of the rollback. Then I could merge it into
master and check what our unit test servers say about it. :-P

Best regards, mg

Am 05.06.15 um 10:08 schrieb Moritz Lenz:
> Hi all,
>
> in order to isolate tests from each other, we could consider starting a
> database transaction before running a test file, and then rolling back
> the transaction after the test file finished running.
>
> Then new objects (queues, users, groups, tickets) wouldn't need to be
> cleaned up manually at the end of a test, and the cleanup would even
> happen if a test aborts early.
>
> However, it'd only work for tests that don't want to establish their own
> DB connections, and not for tests that rely on inter-process
> communication (those couldn't share a transaction).
>
> Do you think this idea is worth pursuing?
>
> (afaict all of the supported DBs implement transactions just fine,
> except mysql on myisam, and DBI already provides a simple interface
> ($dbh->begin_work, $dbh->commit, $dbh->rollback)).
>
> Cheers,
> Moritz

Martin Gruner
Senior Developer R&D

OTRS AG
Bahnhofplatz 1a
94315 Straubing

T: +49 (0)6172 681988 0
F: +49 (0)9421 56818 18
I:  www.otrs.com/

Geschäftssitz: Bad Homburg, Amtsgericht: Bad Homburg, HRB 10751,
USt-Nr.: DE256610065
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Burchard Steinbild, Vorstand: André
Mindermann (Vorsitzender), Christopher Kuhn, Sabine Riedel

Grenzenlose Kommunikation mit der OTRS Business Solution™! Bereichern
Sie Ihren IT Support und Kundenservice mit smarten Business Features!
https://www.otrs.com/solutions/otrs-business-solution-on-premise/?lang=de/#OTRS-Business-Solution-Basic-Features