On 06/15/2015 09:18 AM, Martin Gruner wrote:
Hello Moritz,

this is a nice idea indeed. Technically this could be easily implemented
in the UnitTestHelper as a new parameter (like
RestoreSystemConfiguration) which also cleans up the cache after the test.

It has some limitations (MyISAM, Selenium etc.), but could help with
some things as well. Transactions are a topic that we should adress also
in the regular code of OTRS at some point, but this might be a bigger
effort. For now we could just use $DBObject->{dbh}->*() in the Helper
object.

If you want you can create a test implementation as a PR that actually
tests the functionality of the rollback. Then I could merge it into
master and check what our unit test servers say about it. :-P

And here it is: https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/pull/607

If the smoke tests come out green (or green enough for your taste ;-), I'd propose an API like

my $ScopeGuard = $Self->CleanupOnDestroy();

( or maybe $HelperObject->CleanupOnDestroy )

and when $ScopeGuard goes out of scope (due to the test file being done), its DESTROY method will roll back the current transaction and clean the cache.

Depending on the scoping of these objects, this behavior might go into the UnitTest or UnitTest::Helper objects -- but currently I don't have a good overview whether they live just for one test file, or longer.

Cheers,
Moritz