The original shading packages 1-5 were also added to 1.8.5 (PDFBOX-615 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-615>) and the changes are well tested. I have now over 250 test files (about 50-100 of them deal with shading), and I've also tested thousands of files from the digitalcorpora site without any shading related exception that was a regression, the only exception was a bug that has been there the whole time. The optimizations include many bugfixes as well, that came up in the work.

Tilman