Hi all,

we observe a strange behavior in production.
We are still investigating the exact scenario and it’s a bit complex as we have
many connections to many plcs and fire many requests through many different
channels…
But what we observe is that we get the well known “too many open files”
Exception ona linux server WHEN one of the plcs gets unreachable (pool will try
many times to recreate the connection).

I just checked the Codebase for a Second and I think we are handling the
exceptions wrong (or not at all?).
If I understand it correctly from [1] (didn’t bother to check nettys doc as its
rather poor) we should close the socket somewhere but we ALWAYS do
super.exceptionCaught() which just propagates it upward in the channel
hierarchy but seems to NEVER close it.

Am I wrong with that?

We try to get create a MWE which reproduces that behavior to check if we fix it
like that.

Best
Julian

[1] https://www.baeldung.com/netty-exception-handling