Who is the intended user of the simulator, or users and what do they want
to accomplish? Maybe if that were spelled out or people could suggest those
cases, some number of cases could be agreed upon, allowing the initial
effort to be done with plans for later expansion to the remaining uses
cases down the road.

In my own case:

In the past I have used PLC simulators that I have written or from open
source projects to stand in for real devices when I could not acquire the
hardware.  I am not sure that that use case should be high on PLC4X’s list
since that is a lot to chase.

With PLC4x, I have thought that I would need or like a simulator or “sample
system app->driver->simulator” in order for me, as a developer to debug and
trace through the PLC4X workings, such that I could then understand the
system well enough to either work on it or develop against it.  These types
of systems can stand in leu of, or augment extensive developer
documentation.

At the rate that Chris and others are progressing with refactoring and
extending the libraries, it would be helpful to have such a system
maintained as those refactoring went along.

On October 16, 2019 at 21:07:02, Strljic, Matthias Milan (