I been wrapping head around this as I had a necessity to watch CANopen traffic decoded by plc4x. I ended up building fairly basic web page which displayed most recent frames (so I could stay with local socketcan transport), yet it was far from useful or portable. Recently I also did struggle a lot with bloody modbus. My usecases are often focused on making the commissioning to generate further software configuration.

My little research in topic of desktop applications ended up at javafx which allows to make it small and compile to native binary thanks to graal. My experiences with RCP platforms are rather bad (I did some small Eclipse RCP projects), even if I have no issues with OSGi. Problem I see in RCP platforms is sparse development documentation, I also perceive both Eclipse RCP and Netbeans as focused mainly on organizing navigation while strongly depending on UI frameworks (jface/swt or swing/awt). Effectively you still need to build tables and so on, but with much more overhead. Please do not take above too seriously in context of Netbeans, I don't know much about it and its flexibility. I don't know how to build it with Maven, hence it feels strange. For the Kotlin stuff and frameworks there - I can say that any UI project which Google is pushing is a red flag to me. Looking at GWT, Angular 1.x (I used both) I simply fear that they can step back from "experiment" after a year or two leaving everything to the community. I looked at kootlin and javafx a while ago and there is not much happening there. I don't know if is because of maturity, javafx issues or shift to other UI approaches.

As I had no time to work on it I just postponed that to a future. Yet, I still dream from time to time about proper "fieldbus.app". ;-)

Cheers,
Łukasz