I have added Gradle support in r1761871 [1] with one line of code,
though requires that Ant be installed on the system.

I would like to leapfrog Maven. While it does offer some dependency
benefits and enjoys pretty high market share, reading and writing XML
is something that should be reserved exclusively for computers, and
that's my biggest gripe with Ant.

Whatever solution we go with, we probably want to maintain 2 solutions
in parallel for a year or more while we rewrite the build targets in
build.xml into the new build file(s).

Informally, here's the relative popularity of these build tools over
the last 5 years. Maven is the de facto standard for Java projects,
but build tools with DSLs (Gradle: Groovy, SBT: Scala, Bazel: Python)
are gaining popularity.
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?cat=5&q=Ant,Ivy,Maven,Gradle,SBT
which is roughly the same as
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?cat=5&q=build.xml,pom.xml,build.gradle,.sbt
but is less likely to include queries about insects and plants.

Another heartbeat is to search large open source code repositories to
see what kinds of build tools are being used. Unfortunately,
github.com/search is garbage if you want to search for exact file
names.
Searching google.com for each build filename, we get:
build.xml (Ant): 2.33 million
pom.xml (Maven): 3.3 million
build.gradle (Gradle): 0.49 million
.sbt (Scala Build Tool): 0.399 million