Hi,

I am also in favor of Gradle, Maven always scares me with it's complex
xml-format.

I just committed an initial build/test setup in Gradle via subprojects,
currently they are defined as "virtual" subprojects under build/... as we
would create a few additional build-directories otherwise and I wanted to
keep the overall impact minimal for now. I still use one step from the
Ant-build, namely "compile-ooxml-xsds", but otherwise everything related to
dependencies, compiling and running tests is done in pure Gradle now. Note:
you likely need to run something like "LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LANGUAGE= LC_ALL=
gradle check" to have locale set to en_US, I could not set this for the
unit-tests in the build.gradle.

Feel free to revamp this if you have more knowledge of Gradle (which is
likely as I only copy/pasted most stuff from elsewhere), I hope this is a
start for a refreshed build-system in POI!

Thanks... Dominik.