Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster. :-)

Here are my two cents: I would like to see the PMC encourage anyone and
everyone who is willing to volunteer their time and effort to do things
that will help the community grow (as long as it adheres to Apache policies
of course). There are a lot of failed MeetUps that never get off the ground
because organizing them, finding a space for them, finding speakers and
building awareness is not easy! Anyone who has tried to organize a new user
group or meetup can attest to this. I am super happy to see a willingness
from community members to put their effort into helping other community
members who want to take on the role of organizer. It helps improve the
chances of success for MeetUps and that is a good thing for the community
in my view.

I think it's entirely understandable for the PMC to say "we don't want to
be responsible for this", but it would be highly unfortunate for the PMC to
say "we don't want to be responsible for this AND no one from the community
is allowed to do this either", especially when there are people
volunteering to take on the effort.

Chris Latimer