On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 4:26 PM Aaron Williams <aa...@wi5s.com> wrote:
> Meetups and the Umbrella Group-
> Having an Umbrella Group also prevents or at least makes it tougher for the
> “wild west” of meetup organizations to happen.  For Apache Hadoop, both
> Cloudera and Hortonworks sponsored competing meetups early on, which led to
> tons of problems for that community around vendor neutrality.  We can avoid
> this can of worms for Apache Pulsar by providing oversight and guidance
> from the beginning.
>
> Thus, given the above and that it is better for the organizers, better for
> the PMC’s responsibility to oversee vendor neutrality, and better for users
> and potential users to manage meetups with a little more structure, I would
> recommend that the PMC go forward with giving its blessing to the Umbrella
> model.

Aaron,

Several PMC members have already asked you to rename the meetup groups
you have created, because using "Apache Pulsar Community" as the
organizer represents a big mischaracterization that wants to give the
impression that the Pulsar PMC is behind these meetups.

I believe any other discussion around meetups cannot prescind from that fact.

Matteo

--
Matteo Merli
<mme...@apache.org>