I think 'rejected' is perhaps a misnomer.  That PIP-18 was made redundant
in  favor of enhancing connectors,  which was in concurrent development at
that time.  This was discussed, and the  discussion is on the PR threads
for PIP-18 at  https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/pull/1594 and
https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/issues/1582

Joe