On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 2:02 AM Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:

> To be clear:  the process DOES NOT upload artifacts to Maven Central.  It
> uploads to the ASF staging repo.  Only after we approve the release do the
> artifacts get pushed to Maven Central.  One of the RMs got an error
> DOWNLOADING a Maven plugin from Maven Central.  There is nothing wrong with
> doing that.

Sorry, I misspoke.  But the question remains.  Why do we need to upload it
to the staging server during building or testing a release candidate?  Can
we not just use the local m2 repository for this?

In other words, what aspect of the release are we actually testing by
uploading stuff to the staging repo?

> Any volunteer is welcome to re-do the release scripts.  What we have now
> is what I think was the simplest sequence for creating both Maven and
> non-Maven artifacts.  Maven was the number 1 asked for feature in Adobe
> Flex.  IIRC, it had 100 votes and 2nd place was 12 votes.  So we support
> Maven in hopes that the customers we want to attract are using Maven, plus
> at least Carlos prefers to use Maven.
>
> Just like any other code or script in Royale, there can be bugs and room
> for improvement in the release process.  I found and fixed some issues, and
> hopefully the next RM will try the scripts after a month or so instead of 6
> months so fewer things will have become stale and broken.  In fact,  I
> think I will say that RC2 is my last RC for a while.  If we need an RC3,
> someone else should create it since the know the scripts recently worked
> for me.  And since it is fresh in my mind, I might be able to help the next
> RM better.  I think the problems Piotr and Yishay hit have been addressed.
> The only remaining issue is upload/download issues.

Thanks for getting the scripts to this shape!

Regards,
Om