Aaron D. Mihalik wrote:
Mentors,

We have a PR [1] that imports existing code from another project and the
code is BSD 3-Clause Licensed.

Make sure that the LICENSE file for any artifact that Rya is re-distributing this code in to include the 3-clause BSD license and state where you copied it from.

  What's the process for including a slightly
modified version of this source code into Rya?

This isn't a licensing question, but a copyright question. When is the change you made "sufficiently unique" from the original work? Easy to air on the side of caution and retain its origins since it's permissively licensed.

I did a bit of research into other Apache projects and it seems like this
is fine if we keep the original copy right notices on the files (example of
the original file here [2]). And then we modify our LICENSE file like
thrift did here [3].

If there is a copyright notice on the file you are copying, you must *not* remove this. You would still apply the ASL header for your modifications, but you must leave the original licensing information in place.

The PR has the update to the NOTICE file here [4] and LICENSE file here [5]
and kept the original copy right notices on the source file (example here
[6] ... note that the PR will remove the Apache 2.0 license on that file
soon).

 From a licensing perspective, is that sufficient to pull in this code?  (Is
this the correct place for this question or should I move it somewhere
else?)

I'll take a look at the links you provided on GH and comment there.

--Aaron

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-rya/pull/106
[2]
https://github.com/afs/JenaSesame/blob/master/src/org/openjena/jenasesame/impl/BulkUpdateHandlerNoIterRemove.java