following [4] it looks that the best options are currently either GSON or
Jackson.
i think GSON has smaller footprint and is more compact, but both are good
options.

another criteria for choosing is: do they publish their APIs following semantic
versioning? otherwise we have the same dilemma as with guava.
for jackson this is the case, see
https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson/wiki/Jackson-Releases
for gson i've not found a documentation, but it seems they follow it as well,
have not checked in detail.

stefan