While I think that it is a good idea in theory to remove our custom JSON
library, I don't think that is practical in the near term. So I think our
best course of action is a multistep process:

1) Rewrite org.apache.commons.json using
https://github.com/tdunning/open-json.
2) Select a new standard library
3) Modify internal-usages of org.apache.commons.json to use library from #2.
4) Handle API usage of org.apache.commons.json on a case-by-case basis.

Agree with Stefan that Semantic Versioning is critical for library
selection. I'm not sure that Jackson actually does this. As far as I can
tell, they only use SemVer at the bundle level, not the package level.