I did some more tests, and the problem is the class
https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-api/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/sling/spi/resource/provider/ResolveContext.java

<https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-api/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/sling/spi/resource/provider/ResolveContext.java>.
Only when you remove all annotations along with their import statements (i.e.
Nullable, NotNull and ProviderType) javadoc in JDK 8 does no longer fail.
It seems to be related to the fact that this interface is using a type variable.
Only removing the IntelliJ null annotations is not enough here. Not sure why
this previously was not a problem with ProviderType only.

@Radu: Can you update the JDK bug with that information? I unfortunately cannot
comment on that.