On Thu, 2019-08-15 at 11:38 +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Am 15.08.2019 um 11:21 schrieb Robert Munteanu:
> > On Thu, 2019-08-15 at 11:12 +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > > Hi Roy,
> > >
> > > I guess my mail is a little bit misleading :)
> > >
> > > It's totally fine to use SLF4J directly and we should keep doing
> > > this.
> > > Under the covers, everything you log to slf4j is routed through
> > > the
> > > LogService so other components in the system can listen to log
> > > entries etc.
> > >
> > > So this is about keeping everything as is for clients doing
> > > logging
> > > but
> > > just replace the LogService implementation with the Apache Felix
> > > one
> > > -
> > > and make sure that we still have todays features in place.
> >
> > +1 from me. I also asked about this a year ago :-)
> >

> > https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/581b9ac69bfa6a8692e6bffc98fe5fdd6f5b4c35989d6b53841f7f10@%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E
> >
> That's actually a different ask :)
>
> We have o.a.s.commons.logservice which is an OSGi R6 LogService
> implementation *and* a log listener logging everything to slf4j. My
> suggestion is to replace the LogService impl with Apache Felix Log
> and
> keep the listener.

Re-reading the email makes it clear now :-) And yes, your suggestion
makes sense to me.

> Our logback integration is o.a.s.commons.log which I think is similar
> the logback stuff in Apache Felix.
>
> Now maybe we can replace all of our stuff with the things from Felix?

Ideally yes. As Karl pointed out, we need to ensure we have feature
compatibility before switching, and that is going to take some effort.

But small steps first, if we can rip out some of our stuff and use the
Felix ones, I'm all for it.

Thanks,

Robert