On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 9:35 AM Gus Heck <gus.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if it's relevant, but I recall that back in the early 2000's
> around the time of the adoption of the ASL 2.0 (when I was contributing to
> Ant) the ASF had us stop using @author tags in code. I was not a fan at the
> time, but they had some reason I don't fully recall relating to shielding
> the contributors in the event of someone hitting a bug and then trying to
> sue folks to recover losses or something. I wonder if that logic still
> exists, and if this could be seen as related to that. It's also possible
> that this memory has severely mutated while hanging out in the back of my
> brain for 20 year :).

The context of the name appearing as I propose in a "thank you" is
merely to thank them, not to indirectly hold them to stability/quality
measures.

I don't think it's related.  @author tags can repel a collaborative
ownership mindset on a specific bit of code.  I used to @author my
code out of pride but long ago I realized those tags are a bad idea
and also kind of needless with git-blame anyway.