The instructions in build/README say to only link when doing it in a branch. I did track the problem down to a commit that removed 20_aux_tlds.cf from MANIFEST along with another rules file, saying it should come from sa-update. Even if I put them back, there are still other tests breaking that seem to require one or more rules files that never were in MANIFEST. This seems to be a new problem in 4.0 that only shows up when running make test from a distribution tarball, not from a trunk svn checkout, and so wasn't noticed until now. We can continue this in the new bug comments.