Anecdotally, there are a number of people asking to set the Assignee
field. This is currently restricted to Committers in JIRA. I know the
logic was to prevent people from Assigning a JIRA and then leaving it;
it also matters a bit for questions of "credit".

Still I wonder if it's best to just let people go ahead and set it, as
the lesser "evil". People can already do a lot like resolve JIRAs and
set shepherd and critical priority and all that.

I think the intent was to let "Developers" set this, but maybe due to
an error, that's not how the current JIRA permission is implemented.

I ask because I'm about to ping INFRA to update our scheme.